Monday, June 30, 2008

Going shopping – A nightmare or not?

I just love to do shopping. When I am out, I don’t mind how much cash I have in my wallet, in my hand bag or inside the pockets of my denims. Why? Becoz:

  • I have a credit card & a debit card which comes in handy when I don’t have cash in hand.

  • Even Window shopping – I don’t mind. It’s very fun to step in to a store, try out something new, fashionable & see how much it suits you. And just step out if you really don’t need it. Who cares! The advantage is, sometimes when the real need comes you will know where exactly to go & what the price would be. It will save lots of time, energy & money for sure (especially if you are in a rush.)

  • And most of the time I can locate an ATM near my favorite shopping malls if I find my credit card is not working. (Its not that I don’t pay my bills on time okay. The magnetic field on the card is not working sometimes… ;-) Cos it has been used a lot! )
Therefore the money factor is not a critical success factor in shopping for me. Then what would be my critical success factors? Nothing much. But that’s the RIGHT PRODUCT!

Sometimes when I have the real requirement & money it’s very difficult to find the right product, I mean what exactly I want… Why is that? I think I can find some reasons for that too.


  • I look into every detail of a product. Its finishes, quality, material & overall look.

  • Product should be uncommon or preferably unique.

  • I compare products I saw at different places. Just to see what’s the best. If I think the other place’s product was better than this place, I decide to purchase it from that place. But sometimes when I go there, the product is no longer available. Sigh! And I make up my mind to purchase the near perfect product.

  • And Eureka! I find the perfect item. But after getting it home, oh that’s the most stupid thing I have ever purchased! Why is that? (Still I couldn’t find a reason.)

  • Plus sometimes my mom doesn’t like what I have purchased. Even though I was happy with it before, I become somewhat upset after hearing her comments…

So… I might try to exchange it or live with it. That decision again depends on the other products which were in the store. However the most frustrating thing for me is to come home, in empty hands without buying what exactly I want (after walking under sun in dusty crowded roads, dropping & collecting parcels at counters, trying out many things after waiting in long fit-on queues...what more) .

But still… I love to do shopping. Try out new things! Explore new places! And enjoy the best side of it. But I’m in no doubt. Its always a nightmare for my mom, to do shopping with me…I am sorry Ammi... I can’t help it!


PS: 2 days I shopped to buy a hand bag. One day with a friend. The other day with my mom. Still I couldn’t find my perfect hand bag. So once again Im planning to go out doing shopping on a Saturday with my friend… J Just to find my perfect nice hand bag.